About The Mennonite Historical Society
The Mennonite Historical Society (MHS) at Goshen College, founded in 1921, was reorganized by the late Harold S. Bender in 1924 and has continued its work to the present. The Society usually holds two meetings a year, a public program in the fall and a spring meeting that includes the annual business meeting of the Society, a dinner, and a program.
According to its constitution, “The mission of the Mennonite Historical Society is to promote public understanding of and interest in Anabaptist/Mennonite history and contemporary Mennonite life and thought in order to serve the broader goal of promoting commitment to the Christian faith. The mission is pursued by encouraging and supporting scholarly research, by publishing the results of such research, and by promoting the collection and use of source materials. The fruits of these efforts are extended through such activities as teaching, public programs, and exhibits.”
The MHS was sole publisher of the Mennonite Quarterly Review from the time of its founding in 1927 until 1993, when the new MQR Publication Committee was created to give general oversight to the publication of the Review. At present the Publication Committee has equal representation from the MHS, Goshen College, and Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary.